Sunday, March 18, 2012

Compliments..

It's been awhile since I've done this...let me see if I can remember how it works!! In all seriousness, I am so sorry for the lazy slacker blogger I have been. Life has been crazy-not an excuse, just reality. Some good, some bad, some ugly. But I am promising to you (and to myself) to suck it up and write, write, write.! You have my undivided attention.

Nowadays we are all of us so hard up that the only pleasant things to pay are compliments. Oscar Wilde

Isn't that the truth? All of us need more compliments in our lives. We need to give more of them to our loved ones, our friends, a few acquaintances, and some strangers. We need to hear more of them..even if it is occasionally necessary to give them to ourselves. But mostly, we need to learn how to welcome them and bask in them.
Deep down most of us feel that we deserve more compliments than we receive. I know I feel that way. But I think one of the reasons that I don't hear as many compliments as I'd like is because whenever I see one coming I minimize it. "No biggie" "It's fine" "I have had this forever" "Sure sure".....you do it too. Don't lie.
We have to remember that if we send good things away, if we mistreat and abuse them, if we aren't open to receiving them from the start...at some point the Universe will no longer bother with us. And who would be to blame? No one enjoys hanging around an ingrate...and that's exactly what we are when we discount and deny all the fabulous things we are.
It's interesting to note that the very first dictionary definition of a compliment is 'an expression of esteem'. Maybe we have a difficult time accepting compliments because deep down we don't think we deserve them. When I'm not willing to receive praise I assume it's because my self-esteem is drowning.
So today, be receptive. Start with the knowledge that you are beautiful, and dazzling, and amazing, and wonderful, and fabulous. Remember that you are a great mom, a loving wife, a supportive friend. Ask God to reveal how gorgeous and brilliant you really are. Then every time someone pays you a compliment, accept it. Smile. Give thanks. Become abundant with your compliments to others. We're all so fragile, especially when putting on a brave face and confronting the world. A compliment and a kind word can penetrate even the most hardened hearts and soothe the most troubled souls. The person you feel least likely to compliment is probably the person who needs it the most. Give sincerely so that you may welcome abundantly.
Cultivate the habit of giving at least one compliment a day to another person. Start giving them to yourself. And remember that just as words can hurt..so can they heal.

XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment