Thursday, January 31, 2013

New Digs...

I just know that some of you are DYING to know what has become of us since the big move from East to Midwest. Oh...you weren't dying to know? Just mildly curious....well today I have a super informative post for you on what I've been doing and how I've been doing it without my head exploding.
How to live comfortably (and crazy organized) in 900 square feet of living space. Impossible you say? NO! Now granted...my crew is decisively smaller more compact fiercer easier to cram smaller than most...just me, the Hubster, and the Small. Oh, and two slightly needy and neurotic weenie dogs. And...let me be completely honest...Hubster is MALE and Small is TEEN...so the majority of the time they are slobby. So it's HARD. But it CAN be done. It's tricky and challenging-it involves a little scaling back, a lot of letting go, and a pinch of creativity-but the results are worth it.
Sure it's not what we dreamed of. But finances being what they are, we are putting home-ownership on the back burner and focusing on whats important...being together. We are in a place we love, with people we love, living lives we love....and isn't THAT the happy ending we all hope for. SURE IT IS! Everything is temporary...I can ride this wave too.
So back to the home front. Once I got past the "I'm evidently taking on the role of maid around here"..I decided to dig around in the smart part of my brain socket and come up with some solutions to make all our lives a little easier. And more functional. And a heck of a lot cuter. Pinterest helped a ton. So did countless calls to the bestie for "advice". I have learned that the hardest thing about living in a restricted amount of space is myself....my OCD tendencies are all in overdrive...and open concept is...well...a little too OPEN for me. But I am getting better. Not that you needed to know that..but if you are thinking about downsizing...keep that in mind.
Remember...it's still a work in progress..we haven't been here long. So be nice.

 Living Room from the front door.

Living Room from the hallway.

 Entertainment (Hubsters) Wall.

 View from Living Room into Kitchen. (So embarrassed...lamp with no lamp shade hanging out on the kitchen counter. Please ignore.)

 From Living Room to Bedrooms.

 From back of Kitchen in. (There's a better view of errant lamp.)

 Creative Storage. (More on that below.)

 Teeniney Bathroom.

 And Turn. Done.

 Master Bedroom from doorway. (Roving non shaded lamp has appeared as nightstand accessory. Again, please ignore. *hangs head in shame*)

 Another view.

 Last one.

 Super small work area. Carved out of bedroom corner.

Hahaha...notice there are no pictures of Smalls bedroom. Wanna know why? 'Cause it's a MESS...and I could NOT in good conscience show it to all of you. Especially after the whole I'm the maid convo above. I promise she HAS a room...a very nice one (when it's clean). With a bed (unmade) and a TV even. And cable. Basically she lives better than most prisoners.
One of the best things about living in a small space (other than the CONSTANT closeness with those you love hate tolerate want to kill love)..is the chance to be totally creative. Not only with decorating, but also with everyday life. I am pretty proud of some of the solutions I have come up with and think that they are serving our family quite well....or so I say. Take a looksie.

 No front coat closet? No problem! Some hooks on the wall and a boot tray are all you need!

 Daily (multiple) coffee is a MUST! Coffee stuff on (minimal) counters...not so much. Make a coffee bar! Supplies in drawer. Extras in bottom. Plus storage. Cute! WINNING!

 Another look. Just noticed that my handles are wonky...kinda like my life!

 Family of board gamers? Us too! Put 'em on a cute bookshelf in the corner. Decorate around with the things you love..PRESTO!

 We live in Weatherville...snow, ice, rain. I got pretty sick of mopping the wet off the tile entry floor nine gazillion times a day (plus all the puppy walking times!)...so, my solution? 1 rubber boot mat (ugly by itself), add some river rocks...water drains down through and I like the way it looks! Inexpensive and totally functional!

 Here it is...with my puppy walking boots!!

 Smalls N wall....little things make a big impact. (And cut WAY back on echo.o.o.o...)

 The "artwork" above our bed. My own creation. All the items were bought separately and hung together. I have more plans for that wall...but it's a start!

 The wall above the couch. Reminds me of good times and laughter!

So there you have it!! What I've been doing...happy to say that we are settled in and loving our new lives. Been a long process....thanks for sharing the road.
Hope that this (incredibly long) post gave you some inspiration, a few laughs, and maybe a little hope. Love doesn't need a lot of space..just a little wiggle room.

XOX

2 comments:

  1. Thus was a wonderful post. Full of love, laughter and great tips. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is that thing above the miller blocks? Looks like an old woman's wig gonna wrong..

    ReplyDelete