Friday, January 10, 2014

Taking Offense...

Today I want to talk about something I'm working on - and struggling with - taking offense where none is offered. In this day and age, with the influx of social medias and less face to face interaction, it becomes more and more difficult to determine tone, mood, voice, or meaning in conversations. Sometimes an innocent remark or casual tone can be misinterpreted..even by well meaning acquaintances. The difficulty for me is in distinguishing..and not assuming the worst.

I often wonder what people mean, how they feel about me, what they say about me to others. I am slowly learning that how other people view me, feel about me, or interact with me is none of my business. My "job" is to live a life worthy of praise...one that leaves nothing open to misinterpretation or causes others to speak negatively about me. My "job" is to make better my world, my surroundings, my charges, and myself...and to inspire others to do the same.

Sure, I can't control what people think of me, whether they like me, or what they have to say. Sometimes people just don't work well together. But, I CAN give them reasons NOT to leave my company with a negative impression, I can give them cause to celebrate, I can give them pause and peace.

I can also stop spending my days obsessing over how to change their hearts. Again, not my "job". Everyone doesn't have to be on my fan bandwagon. And that's OK. I have more important things to focus on than winning over negative or toxic people (and there are some)...and I certainly don't need them taking up space in my life. After all, lions do not lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. (RAWR). I'm not saying that every person you meet or interact with is toxic or negative, or that offenses occur because of that...I'm simply allowing that occasionally you will encounter such people. And it's perfectly acceptable to walk away from that...you will know if it's right. Trust your gut. Don't waste precious time, energy, and emotion trying to figure it out...or worse yet, change them. Let the sheep out to pasture.

So back to the taking offense. A lesson I need to learn is that every situation, every interaction, every opportunity is not one sided. Nor is it mutually exclusive. Someone else's bad day, bad moment, bad mood does not have to A. be about me B. reflect on me C. be because of me or D. affect me. And vice versa. Life happens. And while sometimes offering yourself to another person is a struggle, as long as I can say I did my very best for other people....I should rest with an easy heart.

Now, I'm not saying that I will never again get offended. I'm not implying that my feelings will never again be hurt, or that what other people say and do won't have an impact on me. I'm human after all. Nor can I say that I will consistently be super sensitive to others, that my filter is magically functional again, or that I won't, without meaning to, hurt other people. Undoubtedly I will. Because, once again, I am human. And I am flawed. But, know that I do have the best of intentions and that I am trying. And know that I love you ever so much. Whoever you are...and no matter what.

Learning to channel emotions is a process. It won't happen overnight. Changing how you view every interaction is daunting..and sometimes exhausting. But, I promise that as we learn to brush off imagined hurts and welcome understanding...we open ourselves up to the greatness we deserve. We lessen the burdens we carry, we lift the heaviness from our hearts, and we release ourselves from the self imposed prison we have created. I say we...because I am right there...learning, changing, and forgiving. I fight the very same battles and pray the very same prayers.

And if I can change my perception...I know that you can, too.

Keep the faith, have hope, and remember...you are a lion. Don't lose your power. Every moment is a choice. Choose you. Choose love. Choose understanding. Choose forgiveness. Choose better.

See you very soon.


XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment