Monday, June 6, 2011

A weekend in the life...

My life is pretty boring..that's the truth. But every once in awhile something exciting happens. This wasn't one of those once in a while weekends. So let's see....
He is quitting smoking. Finally. After years of me nagging him about it. Which means he is cranky and irritable...and he eats. So I called him 'fatty' the other day...I think it hurt his feelings. Poor feelings.
I forced everyone to the beach so that I could take some pictures of the sidewalk chalk drawings. I had fun...she tolerated it...he just acted like he was bored. I did achieve rockstar mom status this weekend...while driving to the beach she states from the backseat "Whoa! Bon Jovi! I LOVE this song! Turn It Up!"....I have concluded from this that I am a successful parent. She loves football (and cheers for the correct team.) and she has great taste in music. What else do I need to teach her? Nothing that's what!
I was craving a good old fashioned grill out..you know..burgers, baked beans, potato salad! And since my mom makes the BEST potato salad on Earth (or any other planet)...I call her. Getting recipes from her is always entertaining...it went something like this:
Me: Hey mom. I need your recipe for potato salad...I want to make it today.
Her: Oh, I am just finishing up the latest batch that I made. I think I put too much mustard in it this time though. (mental note to self..mustard) How are you? What have you been up to? Can you help me with my Netflix? They keep sending me crappy dvd's that don't play. I think they want me to go digital or something. (A little side note history..we have this conversation just about every other time that I call. She has no cable TV...and relies on Netflix for entertainment. You need to know this.)
Me: Mom. You have to send them an email telling them your disc was junk and they will send you another one. It's pretty easy. And really? You have got to get into the 21st century.
Her: I can't remember my password. Speaking of Googling..can you look up directions to the hotel? I want to make sure we know where we are going.
Me: Did you just say "speaking of Googling?" We have a GPS mom. We will just program the address in and Sally will tell us where to go. No one needs to Google anything mom. Stop Googling.
Her: Who is Sally? When will you be here next week? Romeo (her dog) is excited to see Zero (my dog). I think I am going to make shish-ke-bobs for dinner on Friday. Do you think your brother will join us? I should call him. Maybe I'll make another batch of potato salad?
Me: Yeah potato salad sounds great. In fact, I'd like to make it sometime today...maybe with the recipe?
Her: Well, peel and cook your potatoes.
Me: How many?
Her: I don't know 8 to 10. Boil the eggs.
Me: How many?
Her: Probably 4-6. Then cut everything up. Add mayo. I like to use regular mayo..not that Miracle Whip. Add some salt and pepper. Add some pickle relish. Sweet not dill. It's better if it can chill for awhile too. And that's it. Well, except for the onion. You might want to add onion. I know your tummy has trouble with onion. But onion makes it taste better. Add the onion. About half of a sweet onion.
Me: What about the mustard?
Her: Mustard? Oh. I think I put too much in last time...so only add a little. Oh and don't forget the sugar..make sure you add some of that. That's important. That's the secret.
Me: How much of all this stuff?
Her: Oh, I never measure anything. Just add some until it looks and tastes like you want. Small can help you..she makes it here all the time. (another mental note to self..next time just ask Small.)

Jinkies! I deciphered everything and made the potato salad. It was delicious. But that's really how all my recipe conversations with her go. It's maddening. (and don't be all stealing my moms Potato Salad recipe...it's sacred. Family tradition and everything. For serious. Just invite me over..I'll bring it.)
I have a really busy week this week...cleaning, packing, traveling. Heading to Chicago for a wedding. Looking forward to the road trip and visiting with family! Oh...and the photo ops. And potato salad.
And maybe some blogging.
P.S. I love you mom...see you Thursday night.

                                            XOX

1 comment:

  1. Hee hee...I'm family...can I steal it?? Actually I have my mom's recipe (which sounds a LOT like your mom's) Love you lots Sweet Pea! Have fun at the Wedding and tell everyone hello from all of us up here! :)

    ReplyDelete