Tuesday, June 12, 2012

For My Daughter...

I love you. Today you graduate Fifth grade. And while this seems like a small step in the grand scheme of your life...it is the beginning of the rest of your life. You are learning to find, and sometimes create, your own path. You are sprouting wings and, in the absence of steps, testing flight. And, much to my broken heart's dismay, you are learning to walk away.

Not from us entirely...but you are discovering your freedom. You are establishing your own boundaries and sticking your toe into the water of the world. Just know that the water gets warmer...but also sometimes deeper. There will be crashing waves that will make you lose your footing. There will be high tides and low tides. It doesn't matter if you surf, or sail, or swim. As long as you stay afloat.

And you will. Because you are strong. And tempest. And determined. You already know that you possess the sun and the moon. And are both in my heart.

You are an amazingly complex individual. You are full of light, and laughter, and love. You will...of this I have no doubt...move mountains, and stir cities, and shake people. You will change the world. You have already changed mine.

I want to remind you of all the wonderful things you are....beautiful, intelligent, creative, adventurous, kind, generous, funny, weird, sometimes crazy, loving, forgiving, emotional, responsible, giving. I hope that you will never let anyone convince you otherwise. Remember that you are a precious gift. Expect kindness. Demand respect. Settle for nothing. Want for more. Always.


I pray that you will know happiness. That you will teach tolerance and kindness and generosity of spirit. That you will leave your mark on the world in a way that I never could. That you will always remember where you came from, who you are, what you want, and where you are going. That you will never make excuses for buying the shoes, staying up late to read, or eating another doughnut. I pray that you will travel without a map or a destination. That the lines on your face be from laughter instead of worry. I pray that hurt and sadness and bitterness and want never find a home in your heart. I pray that you will embrace your faith..and trust your soul. I pray that you will always leave people a bit better than you found them. I pray that you will find success, worth, and most importantly, I pray that you will find love. A love worthy of all that you are...and all that you give.

You are growing. And changing. I am infinitely proud of you and the young lady you are becoming. I am honored and humbled to be your mother. I love you...crazy and wild. And in your moments...happy, sad, lost, and found...I will be your home. I will always be your home.

XOX


P.S. This will, unfortunately, be my last post for awhile...due to the moving process! I promise to update you all as soon as the dust settles! I miss you already! XOX!

No comments:

Post a Comment