Monday, February 14, 2011

Enduring love...

Seeing as it's Valentines Day..it seems only appropriate, if not somewhat predictable, to blog about love. I know, I know. I am the absolutely last person who should have anything to say on the matter. Nor should I be offering advice. I'm not. But I have a heart just like everyone else..and my heart is one opinionated fickle little entity. And since she usually wins the heart-brain battle...here we are. This might get bloody.
Of all the things love dares to do, enduring is the ultimate. Though threatened, it keeps pursuing. Though challenged, it keeps moving forward. Though mistreated and rejected, it refuses to give up. (I know some people just like that.) But love never fails. Many times we try to make things work by promising. Declaring in no uncertain terms that no matter what is happening, we are committed. And usually we are met with resistance. After laying our heart on the line, rejection is a sharp sword. So we withdraw our promises and commitments "Fine! If that's the way you want it, that's the way it will be."
But if love is really love, it doesn't waiver when it's not received the way we want it to be. If love can be told to quit loving, then it's not really love. Love is unending and unstoppable. It keeps giving...even if there is no object of affection to receive it. Because love never fails.
It's the difference between a contract and a covenant. The two words sound similar in meaning and intent but are really much different. A contract is a written agreement based on distrust, outlining the conditions and consequences if broken. A covenant is a verbal commitment based on trust, assuring someone that your promise is unconditional and good for life. A contract is self serving and comes with limited liability. It establishes a time frame for certain deliverables to be met and accomplished. A covenant is for the benefit of others and comes with unlimited responsibility. It has no expiration date. A contract can be broken with mutual consent. A covenant is intended to be unbreakable. Love is not a contract with escape clauses and exception wordings. Love is a covenant intended to cut off all avenues of retreat and withdrawal. A wedding is a contract. A marriage is a covenant.
Love never fails. Of the nine "fruits of the Spirit" listed in Galatians 5, the first of all is love. And because the unchanging Holy Spirit is its source, then the love He creates in you is unchanging as well. It is based on the will of God, the calling of God, and the word of God...all unchanging things. Therefore, your love bears the same unchanging characteristics. Be love. Show love. Give love. Because love never fails.
'Where there is great love there are always miracles.' Willa Cather. Look for the miracles.

...1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails.
...Hebrews 13:8 He and His love are the same yesterday and today and forever.

Wow. Turns out I had alot more to say than I thought. Tonight I pray for love. For those who have it, those who lost it, and those who seek it. I pray for my heart. I pray for strength. I pray that I may remember the difference between a contract and covenant. And I pray that the love I give is greater than the love I take. And, as always, I pray for her.
Happy Valentines Day.

P.S. Shameless promotion...check out the newest addition to the family...the photography blog!! You can find it here..under Eos Photography. Pretty please...with sugar on top?

No comments:

Post a Comment