Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Season of Lent...

I don't normally post twice in one day...but I wanted to share with you a brief moment on the subject of Lent. I have been pondering today on what I would "give up" during this season...and I was reminded on more than one occasion that I was not Catholic. Yes, I know this. But it isn't about what religion you practice, what church you practice in, and what reason you practice. It's about the practice. So decisions have been made (I am giving up Amaretto. You can stop laughing...I am for serious. I will undoubtedly replace it with wine...but Jesus approves of wine. So it's all good.)....smudges have been placed on the forehead...and the season begins.
And while I will not be preaching to any of you from here on out (we all know where I stand)...I do want to share with you some interesting readings from this evening. About Lent: 'Our participation in the life, suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ is at the heart of the Christian faith. We are delivered from sin through the death and resurrection of Jesus, and by the Holy Spirit we are born into eternal life with God. The seasons of Lent and Easter call us to remember the mystery of our redemption in Christ and to more fully participate in his life-giving spirit. It is also a time for Christians to become engaged in the process of spiritual renewal. The period of Lent is forty days, which recalls Jesus' wilderness fast of Mark 1:13. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and continues until Easter. The season of Lent is a journey in which we have been given the opportunity to grow closer to God through Jesus Christ. This Lenten season is an opportunity to grow in your faith so that Easter and the resurrection of Jesus might be the glorious celebration of a risen Christ that lives within each of us.' (Rev. Jennifer Vestal Moore)
So my journey begins...I do not expect anyone to come along...it is not required. And in response to my "giving up"....Lent is a time to increase the things of the spirit and decrease the things of the flesh. That pretty much sums it up I think. I continue on...hoping that this will be a time for me to grow by attending to my spiritual practices and lessening my attachment to the material.

...Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Tonight I pray the following prayer:
Lord, journey with me this Lent. May I grow by increasing my spiritual focus and letting go of the material things that often seem so important. Remind me that you are gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. In your grace I am forgiven, made new and made whole. Amen.
Goodnight and blessings to you all.
P.S. Normal hilarity and frivolity to resume following hiatus. Soon. But check everyday...because I am a sucker for blogging! Kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment