Sunday, January 16, 2011

Changing the weapons...

Before we begin, I must apologize for my absence. Remember that blog 'Quarantine'? Oh yes...the flu bug. Nasty little fella. He paid me a visit this week. Bastard. I thought about blogging...really...I'm sorry...that's all a big fat ugly lie. I didn't think about blogging once. I thought about a bullet, hot tea, and sleep. That's all...
And I was going to just make this one excruciatingly long blog covering every single thing that I have read for the last 4 days..but well....none of us has that kind of time. So I have decided to keep you all in suspense of what I learned this week in lieu of starting over with tonight. Okee dokee then?
Tonight I am teaching a lesson in conflict. (Gathered from my reading this evening) Trust me on this one...I am a seasoned pro..an expert if you will. I have learned that conflict is inevitable. People eventually slip off of the lofty pedestals that we place them upon...welcome to fallen humanity. The deepest, most heartbreaking damage we can ever do (or ever have done) to each other most likely occurs in the thick of conflict. That's because this is when pride is the strongest. Anger is the hottest. Words are the most venomous. And we are all guilty (don't try to work that out in your head...just go with it.) So the problem is in learning how to make conflict work for you. How to fight fair...how to fight clean...how to disarm the self destruct. Because if we don't...it WILL destruct.
We have to learn to let love step in. We have to learn to listen to what our hearts are screaming instead of what our mind is whispering. We have to learn to set boundaries for what we will allow, what we will accept, what we will abandon, what we will absolve. We cannot bring old, unrelated conflicts into the new ones. We cannot hold on to past hurts nor can we adopt new ones. We must change the weapons....
Here are the examples of my (newly set) rules of engagement...
     1. I will listen first before speaking. "Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger" (James 1:19)
     2. I will deal with my own issues up front. "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own?" (Matthew 7:3)
     3. I will speak gently and keep my voice down. " A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." (Proverbs 15:1)
'Fighting fair means changing your weapons. Disagreeing with dignity. It should result in building a bridge instead of burning one down. Remember, love is not a fight, but it is always worth fighting for.'
Perhaps if we all just agree to change our weapons. Obviously this way isn't working for anyone. I'm in....

...Romans 12:18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.

Tonight I am praying for less conflict, more peace, and better weapons. I am praying that the hurts and the angers of today make room for the healing and the forgiveness of tomorrow. I am praying for an attitude of willingness, flexibility, and humble submission. I am praying for health, for rest, for them, and for her.
Goodnight and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment