Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rituals and protection...

"There is no companion so companionable as Solitude," Thoreau reminds me as I carry a hot cup of coffee to my desk. The house is hushed now after the hustle and bustle of a busy weekday. The dog follows me up the stairs, rushing to make his bed in the rumpled blanket by my feet. Everyone here knows that a reassuring ritual is about to take place, a civilized ceremonial for a common day.
Although it is too late to receive calls, to avoid interruption I silence the cell phone. The next hour (or so) is spent going within: doing my readings, writing my blog, adding meaningful quotes to my journal, in prayer, planning my day tomorrow, and then just meditating in silence. Listening attentively. Waiting expectantly. These are the basic tools that have helped me to find authenticity. I need enough breathing space to allow my heart to ponder what is precious. Most days, after my inner excursion is over, it appears as if nothing has happened that has dramatically changed my life. I have just spent some time alone. I am not aware of any new insights, inspiration, or guidance...save what I share here with you. But sometimes I am able to bring the larger picture into sharper focus. This much I know: if you go deep enough, often enough, something good is bound to come back to you. This is a glimmer into what happens when I am left to my own devices.
And now I want to discuss what my mother always called "picking your battles"...and the importance of protecting those we love. Relationships are made up of many different things, including joys, sorrows, successes, and failures. When you think about what you want love to be like, the furthest thing from your mind is a battleground. However, there are some battles you should be more than willing to fight. These are the battles that pertain to protecting love. Unfortunately, your relationship has enemies out there. They come in different forms and use different strategies, but nonetheless they will conspire to destroy your relationship unless you know how (and are willing) to ward them off.
Some are clever and seem attractive, only to undermine your love and appreciation for one another. Others try to lure your heart away by feeding you unhealthy fantasies and unrealistic comparisons. It's a battle you must wage..to protect yourself and those that you love...when love puts on armor and picks up a sword to defend its own. The things we need protection from?:
Harmful influences: The internet, consuming work schedules, even family and friends who take precious time away from quiet time with those we love. Shame: Everyone deals with some level of inferiority and weakness. Relationships have a way of exposing it all to the world...protect loves vulnerability. Generally speaking, love hides the faults of others. It covers their shame. Parasites: A parasite is anything that latches on to you or your partner and sucks the life out of your relationship. (we all know who or what the parasites are..). Parasites steal away your loyalty and heart from those you love...and make trust impossible.
Protecting love is no small assignment. It requires a heart of courage and a head for preemptive action. It is an important role. Take it seriously.

...1 Corinthians 13:7 (NIV) Love always protects.
...Proverbs 14:1 The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish tears it down with her own hands.

Tonight I pray for rituals and protection. I pray that I may be a wise woman..that I may learn to build my house instead of trying to tear it down. I pray for protection, for provision, and for peace. I pray that I may learn to recognize when to battle and when to retreat. I pray for those I love. And I pray for her.
Goodnight and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment