Monday, January 17, 2011

Order...

I suspect that in happy and fulfilled lives domesticity and spirituality are invisibly but importantly connected. That there is a Divine Order inherent in the universe. I suspect that the only way to prevent chaos from squatting at my house is for me to maintain some sense of order. This usually backfires on me. But after a successful day yesterday baking and cleaning, I feel obliged to share my domestic musings with all of you.
So let's talk about order. To be a good "housewife" one must be humble, connected, willing to serve. Shouldn't the same rules apply to faith? In order for me to create order in my home I must first claim it in my heart. The Shakers invoked a prayer each morning for the grace that would enable them to express their love of God through their daily tasks...sometimes tasks as simple and mundane as making the bed. And the seventeenth century Carmelite friar, Brother Lawrence, wrote that frequently he felt the spirit of God among the pots, pans, and potatoes in his kitchen as he prepared meals. It's all connected.
Whenever I am feeling overwhelmed by outside circumstances...worries about money, concerns about heath, anxiety over the state of the union...instinctively I turn to homegrown rituals to restore my equilibrium. There is an immediate emotional response when I bake, or clean, or organize something. I have even noticed that there is a direct link to the days when I am especially depressed and the days when the house is a disaster. I also suspect that I am not alone in feeling this way. "It's not the tragedies that kill us, it's the messes." Dorothy Parker
'If you feel constantly adrift but don't know why, be willing to explore the role that order-or the lack of it- plays in your life. No one can think clearly when constantly surrounded by clutter, chaos, and confusion..no matter who is responsible for it. Begin to think of order not as a straight jacket of  "shoulds" (make the bed, wash the dishes, take out the garbage) but as the foundation for the beautiful new life you are creating.'
When the distractions of daily life deplete our energy the first thing we eliminate is the thing we need the most: quiet, reflective time alone. We must invite and cultivate order so that we may begin to learn how to pause.

...James 3:16 Where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder.

Tonight I am praying for the strength to put my house in order. I am praying for wisdom, for guidance, and for reflective understanding. I pray that once order is restored in my home that I may learn to find it in my heart...so that I may teach peace to those around me. I am praying for the safety and security of my loved ones. And I am praying for her.
And to one particular reader...My heart hurts for you and the pain you are suffering tonight. I know that his way seems dark....but I promise there is a path...and a light for him. He will find it...I hold you in my heart and thoughts...and all of you in my prayers. I am here for you...always and all ways.
Goodnight and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment