Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What type of love...

We have alot to explore this evening so let's get right to it. There are three distinct types of love: agape (true, devoted, unconditional): phileo (friendship): and eros (sexual, passionate). While all are equally important to sustain a heart, there must be a stronger foundation to sustain a commitment. Unconditional love, agape love, will not be swayed by time or circumstance. The truth is this: love is not determined by the one being loved but rather by the one choosing to love. And that person must must be willing to let go of the phrase "I love you because" and must replace it with "I love you, period". Who can truly say that?
Who can offer agape love without selfish motives? Who can look beyond phileo and eros to the complications of agape and willingly stand up for its promises? Phileo and eros are responsive and can fluctuate based on feelings or words. But agape love is selfless and unconditional. Who loves selflessly?
Can agape love be learned? Can I learn to not just follow my heart, but to lead it? I don't want to let my feelings and emotions do the driving anymore. I want to put them in the back seat, tell them to shut it, and go wherever I am going. I want to find agape love and surrender to it...knowing that I trust the selflessness of it. Yikes.
I chose this particular topic today because of the significance of the date. One year ago today we began deployment. Heartbreaking months of sacrifice, trial, pain, and immeasurable suffering. 'Agape love will not be swayed by time or circumstance'. I beg to differ. So, my question stands....can agape love be learned? Reclaimed? Lead? Or does it wax and wane at whim? I pray that the next few months of this year do not follow in the path of the last. Please Lord, keep it simple.

...1 John 4:19 We love, because He first loved us.

Tonight I pray for insight. I pray for knowledge. I pray for truth. I pray for celebration, jubilation, and heartwarming news. Tonight I ask for blessings of peace and provisions. I pray for continued communications. I pray for laughter, contentment, and comfort. I ask Him to keep those I hold dear in His sights. And I pray for her...as I do always.
Goodnight and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment