Thursday, January 20, 2011

My own backyard...

Minister Russell H. Conwell delivered many speeches and motivational talks during his lifetime. One speech in particular he delivered more than six thousand times between 1877 and 1925. When it was eventually published, it became an immediate best-seller and a classic in inspirational literature. That lecture was known as "Acres of Diamonds."
It recounted the life of a Persian farmer named Ali Hafed who sold his farm and left his family to travel the world in search of wealth. He searched the four corners of the globe but could not find the diamonds he lusted after. Finally, many years later, alone and in great despair, he ended his own life. His search for riches had consumed him. In the meantime, the man who had bought Hafeds land was grateful for every blade of grass that was now his and lived in love and hard work on his farm. At night, surrounded by his adoring family and eating the fruits of his labor, he was a contented man. Finally one day he made a remarkable discovery. In the backyard that Hafed had abandoned was a diamond mine-literally an acre of diamonds. The simple farmer became wealthy beyond his wildest dreams.
This illustrates an extraordinary and wonderful message: within each of us lies a wellspring of abundance and the seeds of opportunity. We each have a deeply personal dream waiting to be discovered and fulfilled. When we realize that dream and then invest love, creative energy, perseverance, and passion in ourselves, we can achieve an authentic success. And more than that...we have right now all that we need to be contented...I made an inventory of my assets: my health (most of the time), someone who loves me, a beautiful and happy daughter, their health, our home (small but comfortable), my precious puppy, and a beautiful world around me to capture on film. There's always plenty of good food on the table and wine in the pantry. I am blessed with many wonderful friends who care deeply about me and share my life. When I look at this ledger I realize that I am very rich indeed. So rather than seeking riches in the world, we need to explore ways to see our world differently. Gaze into the faces of those you love, set the table with care, and relish the preparations you make for dinner. Delight in the presentation of your meal. Light candles, pour wine in your prettiest goblets, and talk with your family about the day. Celebrate a new awareness. Let your imagination loose to soar.
And as Dorothy Gale reminds us "If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with."
Because there really is no place like home.

...Proverbs 24:3-4 By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established, and by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.

I want to take a moment before we start in on the prayer list to acknowledge that I am not only writing this blog in order to share my progress with you all...but also to make myself accountable for my own heart. It is a healing tool...and meant only for that. While I hope that it offers you peace, knowledge, and greater insight...know that it is a raw nerve to my soul. Be gentle in that knowledge.
Tonight I pray for "my backyard", for my hearts passion, and that I may follow the path that is laid before me. I pray that the comfort that I find in my personal dream (photography) grows to touch others the way it blesses me. I pray for healing and comfort to those in need, I pray for blue skies and starry nights, and I pray for her.
Goodnight and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment