Friday, June 21, 2013

Missing..

Friday! And the First Day of Summer!! I could not be happier with the extra sunshine and the longest day...especially since I know it's all downhill from here. In fact, I've got some pretty big plans for today...so I'm gonna dive right in to this post...and then get busy living.

Something I Miss:

I think this is supposed to be a SINGULAR challenge today. But I miss a TON of things. Plural. So...my blog, my rules. I do what I want.
I miss long rambling late night hilarious long distance phone calls. I miss watching the Penguin Cam (if you've never seen it...I HIGHLY suggest checking out the following link....http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-sandiego/Animals/Webcams/Penguin-Cam. Trust me on this one.) I miss writing scenarios for alternate realities. I miss being silly and crazy and laughing until I cried. And never knowing what each call would bring.
I miss people and places. I miss the people who have left footprints on my heart and the places that have defined who I am. I miss the roots I put down and the people that helped me grow....taller, stronger, more vibrant and alive.
I miss people who have gone before me...before I was ready. I miss my grandparents. I miss cousins. I miss Summer Vacations with them...traveling to Family Reunions in Wisconsin, getting lost, making ice cream, and playing cards. Probably sitting extra heavy on my heart right now...because we have another one coming up..next Summer. And while I know it will be a total blast...there will still be a noticeable absence.
I miss the beach. I miss digging my toes in the sand, and listening to the waves crash, and being at peace. I miss building sand castles with Small and hunting for the perfect piece of sea glass to add to our collection. I even kinda miss the crazy fucking loud ass birds. Always an adventure.
I miss soft shell blue crabs. I could totally put down a fried crabby sammie right about now. Wash it down with an ice cold beer...summer bliss.
I miss BBQ. Sure, we have some of that out here in Midwest Cornville....but I miss picnics with a big fat dripping sandwich, covered in cool creamy coleslaw, and an ice cold sweet tea. I miss the smell of the BBQ Pit...when it's been smoking all day covered in the perfect amount of spices. I am officially on a hunt for delicious BBQ....probably this weekend.
On a related...but completely random side note....all this talk of sammies makes me want to tell you...I also miss carbs. All I want to do is pig out on bread, cake and cookies. With a side of muffins. And a cold glass of milk. *sigh*.....
I miss Small being little. I miss the things she used to say and do...the adventures we had, the way she would hug my neck and tell me that she loved me more than ice cream, and that Uncle Josh could fix anything. I know she still loves me...maybe not more than ice cream, and she will still..on random occasions...hug my neck. I don't know if she still thinks her Uncle Josh is the man though...that title might be reserved for Daddy. In general..I just miss her. She grows away from me a little more each day...and gets taller than me to boot.

I'm sure I could list many many more things that I miss...things from the past, things I've let go of, things I carry in my soul. But...that summer sunshine is calling to me. And I must answer. Spending the day with my favorite girl child....and preparing for an AMAZING weekend! Hope everyone has a great Friday...and Welcome to Summer!!

See ya on the flip flop side!


XOX!!

No comments:

Post a Comment