Saturday, June 22, 2013

Music Therapy..

The challenge for today was fun, and really hard, and therapeutic. I got to listen to some of my favorite music..whittle down to a list of TEN (so so so fucking hard)...and share all of it with all of you!
I love music. Multiple genres. Different sounds and styles. Spanning eras. I grew up listening to The Beatles, Neil Diamond, The Eagles, Elvis. I went through high school rocking out to the very best of the hair bands (mostly to piss off my mother)...but also spent a ton of time loving theatre and musicals. I still get flashbacks when I hear Scorpion, Kiss, and Cinderella....and my husband and I have a very deep and personal connection to Phantom Of The Opera and Billy Joel (OK..admittedly not in the musical category...but keep up.). I love Country music...and there are songs that touch my heart and soul, songs that take me back, and songs that I will keep forever....but country music is like that. It can be a Hell of a Party...or make you wish you were cryin' in a corner.
Back when I was cooler...when I would get music stuck in my head, it would be a show tune, or the most current Top 40 hit, or a sweeping country ballad. Now...I find myself singing the theme song to Phineas and Ferb in the shower, humming the iCarly diddy, or being kept awake by the annoying repetition of Ant Farm. I don't know when that happened...but it's EXTREMELY fucking annoying. My Small and I were discussing this problem the other day...when I was explaining that she really needed to watch different television (you know, in order to save my sanity?)...her response? "It's better than having the Snapped song stuck in your head." Me: "There IS no theme for that" Her: "Dunh dunh dunh".....I laughed and rationalized that she was, once again, completely correct. Phineas and Ferb is probably much more socially acceptable.

10 Favorite Songs: In no particular order.

1. Imagine ~ The Beatles. I love this song so much because it completely describes my whole approach to life. I am a deep in my heart hippie...I just want a little peace, a little positive outlook, and a LOT less hate. LOVE and PEACE...the world needs more of it.
2. Moon River ~ Harry Mancini. Sung by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffany's...it is one of my favorite movies ever..and a beautiful song to boot.
3. I Won't Give Up ~ Jason Mraz. I dedicated this song to my husband...shortly after we got married. Reminding us that we are in this forever, that love always wins, and that we are greater than the stars.
4. I Will Wait ~ Mumford and Sons. I love this song. Actually, I love everything by M&S. This song just has an amazing message...forgiveness, shaking the excess, using both your head and your heart to make decisions, and moving on together. I think it may have some religious inferences....aligning your head and your heart to Him, kneeling down in prayer, and staying humble. It's a great song.
5. Shut Up Train ~ Little Big Town. This song got me through some REALLY hard times and reminded me that I just needed to breathe and be alive. I honestly don't want to explain it any more deeply than that.
6. Ho Hey ~ The Lumineers. What a catchy little tune...and a cute little saying 'I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart.' But deeper than that..it's about finding where we belong..and finding love.
7. One ~ U2. I have loved this song from the first moment I heard it...many, many years ago. Again, it's about letting go of hurt, finding yourself but still being connected to others, and it's about the strength of love.
8. Love Interruption ~ Jack White. Oh My Heart. If you don't listen to JW already...DO IT! He is brilliant, and beautiful, and in the know. And this song is no exception. It's a little on the darker angrier side...but so hauntingly beautiful. 'I won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me.' Damn right, Mr. White.
9. Love Your Love The Most ~ Eric Church. He wrote this song for me! Of course I'm kidding...but this song DID begin my love affair with the scruffy faced crooner. It was my husband and I's first concert together...and hubs held me tight and swayed a little (I'm sure his version of slow dancing.)...of course then I got beer spilled on a pair of really cute shoes...and I was done with the show. As much as I love ALL of Church's songs...this one is STILL my very favorite.
10. Amen Omen ~ Ben Harper. *sigh*. Listen to this song...I beg of you. And YouTube some Ben...I promise your soul will thank me. So sultry and seductive...and such a seriously sweet and tragic song. 'I can't find the place within to live my life without you.' Exactly how I feel about my husband and my Small.

Clearly there is a pattern to my song choices....LOVE. Strive for it, seek it, hold on to it, cherish it, and...above all...share it. Because everyone needs a little love...and really good music..in their lives.

See ya on the flip flop side.


XOX!!


No comments:

Post a Comment